Here’s a list of ways to make your skate park experience that much better. Feel free to add your suggestions in the comments below and win the satisfaction of helping others have more fun.
The items are in no particular order…
1. Invite every rollerblader you know to come out to the park for a big session. Set a date and time etc…
2. Bring an extra pair of skates for the local kids to try out and get hooked on aggressive skating. A kid was skating some garbage “box store” skates and JH (AKA OMH) let him try on our shop pair of Carbons and the kid was stoked.
3. Bring a mini BBQ and cook up some food. Hot dogs are cheap as heck. Just keep the food outside of the park. I can’t stand it when everyone trashes the parks with spilled drinks and melted ice creams.
4. Have extra parts and tools with you. Nothing will ruin a session faster than loosing your bolts.
5. Skate something new at the park. Always skating the same park ledge in the street course? Why not try out the bowls and gain some skills on the coping.
6. Travel to a park you’ve never been to before or rarely go to. We just went to this small SJ park last Saturday that some of us had never been to and it was extremely fun.
7. Stretch and warm up ahead of time. Can’t stress this enough.
8. Film and take pictures. Really easy to catch all of your friends on camera having fun and doing stunts.
9. Upgrade to better wheels and bearings. You will be surprised at the difference they make, especially skating transition. You will roll smoother and faster with way less effort. I recommend Swiss bearings and Eulogy wheels.
10. Wear all your pads so that you are not constantly getting broke off. But…. if you don’t like to wear pads, you can still sneak some thin knee pads or gaskets under your jeans without anyone noticing and at least save some wear and tear on your knees.
11. WATER. Keep your session going longer by staying hydrated.
12. Keep it positive. Yes it’s corny or whatever, but this post is about having more fun at the park.
13. Challenge yourself with tricks outside of your comfort zone. If you go to the park and do basically the same tricks on the same obstacles every time you are going to progress at a very slow rate and most likely get bored of skating park.
14. Skate the whole time… if you want to improve your skills and add to your bag of tricks faster.
15. Go out for wings and beer (soda if your under 21) after the session. Great way to replenish the body and keep everyone in good spirits.
16. Say what up to the new guy/girl skating at your local park. Grow the aggressive skate scene.
17. Put up your favorite stickers. Props to Will for getting Aggressivemall stickers the highest up at the SJ Lake Cunningham park.
Now go tear up your local skatepark and have fun with your friends. Just don’t forget to still skate street spots or else Dre (AKA Paco Ass Dre) will be disappointed.